The fiftieth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1930; 1 story; four-room square cottage with inset porch and bungalow type detail; popular version of this form; probably built by black speculator Benny Person.”
In the 1930 Wilson, N.C., city directory: Richardson Pearl (c) dom r 103 N Vick
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 103 Vick Street, James Nicholson, 39, taxi driver; Ed Nicholson, 37, taxi driver; [Ed’s wife] Nancy, 35, and [James’ wife] Celestia, 35, both laundresses; [James and Celestia’s children] Annie D., 16, Lillian, 9, and James, 10; and [Ed and Nancy’s son] William, 10. James and Ed reported being born in Magnolia [Duplin County, North Carolina]; Celestia in Rocky Mount; and the others in Wilson.
In the 1941 Wilson, N.C., city directory: Nicholson Jas (c; Celeste; 4) carp r 103 N Vick
In 1942, James Nicholson registered for the World War II draft in Wilson County. Per his registration card, he lived at 103 North Vick Street; was born 14 August 1901 in Duplin County; his contact was Mrs. C. Nicholson, 103 North Vick Street; and he worked for “Housing Project, NOY 4750, New River, Onslow County, N.C.”
On 31 May 1963, James L. Nicholson Sr. died at Mercy Hospital in Wilson. Per his death certificate, he was born 14 August 1901 in Dublin [Duplin] County to Ed Nicholson Sr. and Annie Johnson; resided at 103 North Vick; and worked as a cab driver. Catherine Nicholson was informant.
Photograph taken by Lisa Y. Henderson, December 2017.