The one hundred thirty-seventh in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1922; 1 story; locally rare double-pile, hip-roofed duplex with center roof gable.”
Per Robert C. Bainbridge and Kate Ohno in Wilson, North Carolina: Historic Buildings Survey (1980), which includes the photo above: “Representative of many houses built in Wilson at the turn of the century, this house has a large central shingled cross gable on each elevation. The house has been altered to convert it into a duplex.”
In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Oliver Jesse (c; Mary) driver Wilson Marble & G Co h 905 Robeson
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: McLean Eliza (c) dom h 905 Robeson
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: John Artis, 28, public service laborer, and son Willie, 15; also, John Jones, 39, public service laborer, and wife Viola, 31, housekeeper in private home.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Jones John H (c; Viola) tob wkr h 905 Robeson
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Pepper Wm (c; Mary) soft drinks 902 Wiggins h 905 Robeson; also Allen James (c; Cora) lab h 905 Robeson