The faculty of C.H. Darden High School, 1937-38:
Bottom row: Spencer J. Satchell, Juanita Pope Morrisey, Cora Miller Washington Artis, Naomi Freeman, Flora Clark Bethel, Marian Howard Miller, Margaret Edwards, Edward M. Barnes, John M. Miller Jr.
Middle row: Margaret Harris, Jane Amos Boyd, Annie Parker Dupree, Helen Delzelle Beckwith Whitted, Rosa Lee Kittrell Williams, A.A. Morrisey.
Top row: Marie Davis, Estelle Lane Shade, Ethel Alexander, Mamie Whitehead.
Photo courtesy of Freeman Round House and African American Museum.
From the Shaw University Bulletin, volume XXII, number 2 (October 1952):
From its 1949 yearbook, the faculty of Charles H. Darden High School (which housed grades six through twelve):
- Ethel D. Alexander — Ethel DeBrew Alexander, native of Scotland Neck, North Carolina.
- B.T. Barnes — Beatrice Taylor Barnes (1912-1995), Wilson native, daughter of Russell B. and Viola Gaither Taylor.
- O.W. Barnes — Odelle Whitehead Barnes (1912-2011), Wilson native, daughter of John H. and Victoria Ennis Whitehead. She married Edward Morrison Barnes (1905-2002), son of Lemon and Elizabeth Smith Barnes, and principal of Darden High School from 1932-1969.
- F.C. Bethel — Flora Clark Bethel (1898-1985), Wilson native, daughter of John H. and Ida Ross Clark.
- C.E. Branford — Charles E. Branford (1923-2008), born in Baltimore, graduated Darden ’41.
- E.R. Bryant — Erdman Ray Bryant (1923-1978), native of Jones County, North Carolina.
- B.E. Cartwright
- C.R. Cooke — Clara R. Godette Cooke, native of New Bern, North Carolina.
- Z.C. Daniels — Zelma C. Daniels.
- John E. Dixon — John Ezra Dixon (1909-2004), native of Bladen County, North Carolina. Later served as principal of Adams and Samuel H. Vick Elementary Schools.
- Annie M. Dupree
- D.H. Ellis — Dorothy H. Ellis.
- James C. Ellis — James Charles Ellis (1919-1991).
- Julius Freeman — Julius Franklin Freeman Jr. (1888-1960), Wilson native, son of Julius F. and Eliza Daniels Freeman.
- Doris G. Gaston — Doris Gwendolyn Gaston (1924-2007), Elm City native, daughter of Dewey and Mary Howard Gaston. Married South Carolina-native Julian B. Rosemond, who established a dental practice in Wilson in the 1950s.
- J.B. Harris — Johnie Bynum Harris (1917-1980), native of McDowell County, North Carolina.
- O.W. Harris — Oswald William Harris (1914-2001), native of Warrenton, North Carolina.
- C.W. Hines — Carl Wendell Hines (1914-1995), Wilson native, son of Walter S. and Sarah Dortch Hines. Later served as principal of Adams and Boisey O. Barnes Elementary Schools.
- Louise M. Jenkins — Louise McNeill Jenkins (1922-1988), native of Laurinburg, North Carolina.
- Alice H. Jones — Alice H. Albright Jones (1892-1957), native of Lexington, North Carolina.
- F.W. Jones — Frissell Wagner Jones (1917-2006), native of Gressit, Virginia. Went on to teach at Saint Augustine’s College and North Carolina A&T State University.
- Marian H. Miller — Marian Howard Miller (1916-2003), native of Virginia.
- Mabel A. Morgan
- S.J. Satchell — Spencer Jordan Satchell (1910-1992), native of Hampton, Virginia.
- I.D. Taylor — Inez Dickerson Taylor Bell (1927), Wilson native, Darden ’44, daughter of Fred and Almeta Edmundson Dickerson.
- Cora M. Washington — Cora Miller Washington (1909-??), Wilson native, daughter of George H. and Cora Miller Washington.
- M.E. Whitehead — Mamie E. Whitehead.
- H.D. Whitted — Helen Delzelle Beckwith Whitted (1888-1976) married Walter C. Whitted. She was one of the teachers who staffed the Colored Graded Shool after teachers and parents staged a boycott.
- Rosa Lee Williams — Rosa Lee Kittrell Williams (1905-??), Wilson native, daughter of William H. and Mary Williamson Kittrell, married to Malcolm D. Williams (1909-??), principal of Sallie Barbour School, Samuel Vick Elementary, and superintendent of Wilson Negro Schools.