On 5 October 2004, the Wilson Daily Times printed a reader-contributed photograph taken in October 1938 during Fire Prevention Week. The photo depicts Tyrus Bissett (later chief of Wilson Police Department) with principal Edward M. Barnes during a visit with students at Darden High School.
In 1939, Spencer J. Satchell penned original music and lyrics for an alma mater for Charles H. Darden High School.
We sing a song of adoration, a song full of love and praise,
For the school that is our inspiration, for the place where we spend our high school days
We dedicate our thoughts to thee, thoughts of true love and good will
Loyal students we will always be, as we journey o’er the rugged hills
Dear ol’ Darden High!
We laud thee to the sky, we sing thy name in reverence,
Praise Darden High! Darden High!
We raise our Alma Mater, Darden High!
Although from thee we must part, this song will linger within
Yearning and longing in our hearts, for our Alma Mater we will sing
We strive to do our best, while we proudly sing thy name
May we love, work and be blessed, this is our beloved refrain!
Pittsburgh Courier, 9 December 1945.
Apparently, librarian Margaret J. Gillespie lived in Wilson only briefly before her marriage to George Cooper of “Little” Washington, N.C.
Wilson Daily Times, 7 June 1984.
- Rosemyer Savage Lathan (1916-2001)
- Mamie Taylor Alexander (1915-2008)
- Francis Artis Edmundson — Frances Percell Artis Edmundson (1915-1992), daughter of William M. and Etta Diggs Artis, who lived in Nahunta township, Wayne County, North Carolina.
- Vivian Grissom Garner
- Ada Harris Christian — Ada Odell Harris Christian (1913-1992), daughter of Alus and Martha E. Harris.
- Daisy Winstead Powell
- Margaret Battle Thompson
- Jesse C. Lassiter Jr. — Jesse C. Knight Lassiter Jr. (1914-1989), son of Jesse C.K. and Lessie Dew Lassiter.
- Jesse Lindsey — John Jesse Lee Lindsey (1914-1994), son of Phil O. and Lugenia Hawkins Lindsey.
- Rhoda Hinnant Brown — Rhoda Vandelia Hinnant Brown (1914-2004), daughter of Dock and Ardelia Reid Hinnant.
- Amanda Artis Jones — Amanda Bell Artis Jones (1916-2006), daughter of June S. and Ethel Becton Artis.
- Virginia Artis Reid — Virginia Maye Artis Reid (1917-2006), daughter of Lawrence and Emma Hedgepeth Artis.
- Gladys F. McCollum — (1913-1998), daughter of Eddie and Rosa McCollum.
- James Clinton Bess Jr. — (1915-2002), son of Clinton and Minnie Lockhart Bess.
- Otho Davis — Otha Richardson Davis (1912-2009), son of Otha C. and Ella H. Davis.
- Lucille Jones Peterson — Lucille Soisette Jones Peterson (1917-2005), daughter of Wesley and Martha Taylor Jones.
- Robert F. Sheridan — son of Robert and Fannie McCollum Sheridan.
- Ida Harris Sherrod — (1914-1990), daughter of Leander and Lucy Brooks Harris.
- E.M. Barnes — Edward Morrison Barnes (1905-2003), son of Lemon and Elizabeth Barnes.
- Mary D. Wilkins Bass — Mary Della Wilkins Bass (1909-1988), daughter of Redden S. and Mary Hines Wilkins.
- Beatrice T. Barnes — Beatrice Taylor Barnes (1912-1995), daughter of Russell B. and Viola Gaither Taylor.
- Charles Darden James — (1914-1994), son of Randall R. and Lizzie Darden James.
Jesse A. Henderson, leaning on bass drum, and other Darden High School marching band percussionists, circa 1947.
Photograph from collection of Hattie Henderson Ricks, in possession of Lisa Y. Henderson.
From In Retrospect: “In 1933, the first [Darden High School] football team was formed under the leadership of Robert Kornegay. The Trojan Mascot was selected as a result of a contest held in the fall of ’33. The colors ‘Blue & White’ were also formally selected at that time.”
Here is the earliest known photograph of a Trojans gridiron team. The date is somewhat ambiguous, but the photo was taken no later than 1941, when several of the players graduated.
- #60 Joe Williams
- #61 Clarence Hoskins (1924-2010, son of Lonnie and Gertrude Simms Hoskins)
- #63 Marvin Jones (1923-??)
- #64 William Criss Taylor
- #65 Dolly Octavous Brown Jr., Class of ’41 (1922-1993, son of Dolly and Mabel Brown)
- #67 Hubert Odell Speight, ’44 (1922-2009, son of Gray Edmundson and Christine Speight)
- #68 Charles E. Branford Jr. ,’41 (1923-2008, son of Charles and Annie McIntyre Branford)
- #69 Samuel Price Geralds, ’41 (1920-2008, son of Boyd and Viola Geralds)
- #70 David M. Barnes (1921-2006, son of Littleton and Elnora James Barnes)
- #71 Troy Lee Chatman (1922-??, son of George and Daisy Chatman)
- #72 William Edward Brown, ’41 (1922-1993, son of Ellis and Margaret Scarborough Brown)
- #73 Ellis Brown Jr., ’41 (1921-1989, son of Ellis and Margaret Scarborough Brown)
- #75 Jesse Frank Barnes, ’42 (son of Harry and Rena Barnes)
- #76 Allen McCrimmon (1923-1973, son of Alexander and Mary Watson McCrimmon)
- #77 Daniel Scott Brown, ’41 (1922-2009, son of Booster and Louisa Brown)
- #79 Joe Parker
- #80 Edgar Gerald (1922-??, son of Morant and Lizzie Gerald)
- #81 Joe Pittman
- #82 Joseph Rountree (1923-2001, son of Wiley and Mary Barnes Rountree)
- #83 James W. Ellis, ’41
- Coach B. Miller
- Coach Roberson
From the Darden Alumni Center, a graduation photo of the 1944 class:
- Adelaide Lee Barnes Brown (1924-1983, daughter of Leonard and Adelaide White Barnes)
- Dicy Cora Lee Becton (1924-??, daughter of Zanger and Louisa Broadhurst Becton)
- David Renaldo Blue (1924-1964, son of Joseph and Lula McNeill Blue)
- Frank Junious Brake (1925-2009, son of Willie and Elizabeth Smith Brake)
- Virginia Branch
- Grace LaNelle Coley Hansen (1926-??, daughter of David and Cora Speight Coley)
- Eunice Delores Cooke Fleming (1926-1992, daughter of Jerry and Clara Godette Cooke)
- Dora E. Dickerson (1924, daughter of Fred and Almeta Edmundson Dickerson)
- Inez Dickerson Bell (1926, daughter of Fred and Almeta Edmundson Dickerson)
- Pauline Elizabeth Farmer Jones White (1925-2016, daughter of Paul and Cora Rountree Farmer)
- Ernestine Elizabeth Floyd Goode (1925-1988, daughter of Ambrose and Mattie Moye Floyd)
- Marjorie Foster Moore (1926-??)
- Charles Eugene Freeman (1926-1960, son of Julius Jr. and Pattie Hagans Freeman)
- Lula Mae Holiday Hill (1924-??, daughter of Wesley and Rosa Brown Holiday)
- DeVeria Ann Jackson Turner Wing (1924-??, daughter of Benjamin and Annie Lee Farmer Jackson)
- Classie Lillie Jones Jarman (1925-1993, daughter of Wash and Jessie Norfleet Staton)
- Elbernice Jones
- Annie Doris Joyner Kornegay Best (1925-??, daughter of Eddie and Annie Pearl Wynn Joyner)
- Almeta Latham Farmer ( -2017, daughter of James and Lillie Jones Latham)
- Susie Gray Moody James (1925-1957, daughter of Charlie and Martha Jones Moody)
- Hattie E. Morris
- Emma Lee Moye (1925-1960, daughter of Fred and Fannie Bone Moye)
- Margaret McNeil (1925-1976)
- William Margolus Reid (1923-2001, son of Willie and Mary Galley Reid)
- Olivia Deborah Roberson (1927-1990, daughter of Albert and Lela Worsley Roberson)
- Coach Vernon Rogers (1925-1997, son of Millard and Maggie Williams Rogers)
- Annie Doris Rountree Williams (1925-??, Wiley and Mary Barnes Rountree)
- Erastus Speight
- Hubert Odell Speight (1922-2009, son of Gray Edmundson and Christine Speight)
- Mary Lou Spivey (1926-??, daughter of Henry and Mary Spivey)
- Dorothy Elinor Stokes Whitehead (1925-2001, daughter of James and Viola Reese Stokes)
- Clara B. Taylor (1924-??, daughter of Willie and Eva Taylor)
- Mary Joyce Taylor Stokes Crisp (1926-2008, daughter of Roderick and Mary J. Pender Taylor)
- Allen Williams
- Argie Williams Boykin (1925-1974)
- Callie Mae Williams Rountree
- Augustine Wynn
From the Darden Alumni Center:
First row: Elizabeth C. Edwards (1929-??, daughter of Rosa L. Edwards); Lenore McCoy; Annie Doris Battle; Merline Hussey Brooks; Trumiller Beatrice Wimberly; Henrietta Hines McIntosh (1927-??, daughter of Charlie and Eva Hines); Doris Vivian Smith; Pauline Lorine Coley Ellis (1928-??, daughter of Alonzo and Pauline McQueen Coley); Christine Margaret Snow.
Second row: James Douglass George (1926-??, son of Walter D. and Eunice George); Helen Grey Woodard Travis (1931-1999, John and Emilie Woodard); Doris Simms; Jean Orlmiller Gilchrist (daughter of Cannon and Ruth Norfleet Gilchrist); Mamie Ruth Ellis (1930-??, Oscar and Mamie Bynum Ellis); Daisy Hilda Winstead Hinnant Brooks (1928-1979, daughter of Sam and Mattie Pope Winstead); Mary Magdalene Knight; Grace Emily Hodges Dunlap (1930-2008, daughter of Nathaniel and Bessie Sutton Hodges); Mary Frances Diggs Hargis (1930-1971, daughter of Edgar and Mary Grant Diggs); Agnes Marie Hoskins (1929-??, daughter of Lonnie and Gertrude Simms Hoskins); Ozie Lee Pender Hobbs (1928-2010, daughter of Albert and Mary Pender); Winford Lee Morgan (1931-2000, son of James and Addie Fisher Morgan).
Third row: Charles Seville Plater (1929, son of Simon T. and Ruth Jones Plater); Commillus Woodard (1928-1994, son of James and Geneva Powell Woodard); Charles Edward Hines (1929-??, son of Wesley and Lucy Ellis Hines); Freddy Blue (1927-??, son of Joe and Lula McNeal Blue); Willie Jones; James Melvin Barnes; William Taft Williams Jr.; Annie Miller Stokes (1930-??, daughter of James and Viola Reese Stokes).
Fourth row: Edwin Dawson; Wade Nicholas Lassiter (1928-??, son of Jesse C. and Lessie Dew Lassiter); Edward Kerphew Harris (1930-2007, son of Benjamin and Pauline Artis Harris); James Henry Spivey (1930-??, son of Henry and Mary Clarks Spivey); Beatrice Wendella McNeil Hines (1928-2007, daughter of Matthew and Ola Belle Jiggette McNeil); Jesse Adam Henderson (1929-2003, son of Hattie M. Henderson Ricks); Ralph Cornell Gay (1928-1992, son of Albert and Annie Bell Jacobs Gay); James Nicholson Jr.; Leotis Reid (1926-2011, son of Oscar and Nora Artis Reid); Richard Lee Barnes; Walter Harold Canady; Nathaniel Webster Mewborn.
Darden High School’s Class of 1948 was the first to produce a yearbook. Here’s the senior section:
Another Darden Alumni Center gem — the Class of 1940:
First row: Mildred Artis; Millicent Monroe Harvey; Larnetta Pauline Howell Braxton (1922-1997, daughter of Harry and Annie Thompson Howell); Vanilla Powell Beane (1919, daughter of James and Martha Hagans Powell); Gertrude Ennis Whitehead (1924-1992, daughter of John H. and Victoria Ennis Whitehead); Bertie Romaine Hagans (1924-??, daughter of Oscar and Bertie Ward Hagans); Lillian Verrill Black (1922-??, daughter of Grover and Martha Melvin Black); Ruby Jane Lassiter (1923-1943, daughter of Jesse C. and Lessie Dew Lassiter); Hattie Lee Dixon Nimo; Johnnie Mae Everette; Colonius Junius Best (1919-2007, son of Junius and Mary Smith Best); Weldon Williams; Louis Delaney (son of George and Maria Richburg Delaney); Magdelene McNair.
Second row: William Potts; Willie Jones; Elizabeth Pauleze Coley (1923-??, David H. and Eva Speight Coley); Beatrice Chambliss Gay (1920-??, daughter of John and Bertha Chambliss); Mary Etta Coley Frink (1920-1995, daughter of Alonzo and Pauline McQueen Coley); Sarah Toney; Minnie Beatrice Battle Lassiter Williams (1919-2006, daughter of Norman and Ellen Lucas Battle); Magdelene Hargrove; Charles Elva Kittrell (1918-1990, son of Solomon and Lettie Roberts Kittrell); John D. Murphy (1921-1960, Raymond and Eula Floyd Murphy); Frances Lela Bowens Hansome (1923-2007, Jacob C. and Flossie Cobbs Bowens); Mary C. Barnes Moore; Harold Elmer Gay (1920-1979, son of Albert and Annie Bell Jacobs Gay); Donald Gordon Tabron (1922-2007, son of T. Henry and Mattie Smith Tabron).
Third row: Willia B. Jones Turner (1923, daughter of Wesley and Martha Taylor Jones); Ella Godette; Marion Vernon Jones (1919-1975, son of Wesley and Martha Taylor Jones); William Allen Sheridan (1921-1984, son of Robert H. and Fannie McCollum Sheridan); Jerry Lee Cooke Jr. (1924-1963, son of Jerry and Clara Godette Cooke); Clarence Edward Woodard (1925-1968); Quentin Alston Farmer (1921-1975); John Henry Mincey (1919-1982, son of Benjamin and Mattie Barnes Mincey); Levi Simmons (son of Junius and Clara Simmons).