East Wilson

Before East Wilson.

Before East Wilson began to take shape as the historic heart of Wilson’s African-American community, the land just east of the railroad held small farms and, essentially, country estates like the one Rufus W. Edmundson offered for rent in November 1881. The seven-acre parcel at the east corner of Vance and Pender Streets contained a large six-room house with a well, fruit trees, and “all necessary” outbuildings. Only seven years before, the land had been “original forest.”

As we have seen, into the second half of twentieth century, Vance Street was a boundary between black and white neighborhoods. When Edmundson’s parcel was eventually sold and subdivided, the houses built on streets like Academy and Crowell were for white owners and tenants. These segregation patterns held into the 1960s.

Wilson Advance, 25 November 1881.

O.N. Freeman plat map.

 

This 1928 plat map of property belonging to Oliver N. Freeman is readily recognizable in the present-day landscape, though it does not appear the land was subdivided as shown. (The area was described as “near” Wilson as it was outside city limits at the time.)

Plat Book 3, Page 39, Wilson County Register of Deeds Office, Wilson; aerial view, Google Maps.