The 1888 version of Sanborn Company’s fire insurance map of Wilson reveals two sets of “negro tenements” just east of the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad. One set stretched along North Pettigrew Street. The other comprised two dwellings set well back from Nash at numbers 638 and 639.
Sanborn Company fire insurance map, Wilson, N.C., 1888.
There, at the lower right edge of this page of the May 1885 Sanborn map of Wilson, a cluster of “Negro tenements.” Just below them and across a short rail spur was a ticket office and freight depot, and it’s safe to assume that many of the men living here were employed as railroad laborers.
The site is now an empty lot, roughly across Pettigrew Street from the union hall of the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union, Local 270T.