“It being rumored and gossiped that two members had mixed blood in them; the confusion was called to the attention of the church. On September 13, 1916, conference Supt. A.H.Butler came to settle the trouble existing in the church concerning segregation. Four members withdrew on this date.”
Per membership rolls, the four who withdrew on that date were Lucinda Lucas, C.T. Barnes, Elsie Barnes and Annie Whitley.
From “Lamm’s Grove Pentecostal Holiness Church History,” by Mae Pittman, contributed by Cora Nevitt to “Trees of Wilson: Chronicles of the Wilson County Genealogical Society,” volume 17, number 4, April 2008.
[Founded in 1914, Lamm’s Grove, near Lucama, remains in existence.]