nun

The Oblate Sisters at home.

In 1945, the Reid family sold 600 East Green Street to the Redemptorist Fathers of North Carolina, who converted it into a school and a convent for the Oblate Sisters of Providence. (Saint Alphonsus Catholic School moved to Carroll Street circa 1948.)

The 1950 census of Wilson, Wilson County, lists sisters Mary Juliana, Mary Antoinette, Mary Miriam, Mary Antonio, and Mary Cornelia in the house. Sister Mary Juliana was head of the convent. Three sisters were described as Catholic school elementary teachers, and one as a kindergarten teacher. The fifth, Sister Mary Antoinette, a native of Martinique and the eldest by twenty-plus years, did not work. (At least in the way defined by census takers.)

Wilson Daily Times, 9 September 1948.

Music lessons.

Though this image of Sister Antonio Spruill of Oblate Sisters of Providence was taken in the 1950s, just beyond the range of Black Wide Awake, it’s really just too great not to be included here. Barbara Farmer, at far left, identified the other girls as Josephine Collins, Gail Peacock, JoAnn Jenkins and Wilter Davis. (Thank you!)

“Music Class St. Alphonsus School in Wilson, N.C.”

In 1947, per the city directory, Saint Alphonsus Catholic School operated from 600 East Green Street, the large two-story house at the corner of Pender Street built for J.D. and Eleanor Reid. By 1950, the house was a nunnery for the Oblate Sisters.

Founded in 1828, the Oblate Sisters of Providence was the first permanent community of Roman Catholic sisters of African descent in the United States. Though small, the order remains active.

Wilson Daily Times, 25 May 1946.

Wilson Daily Times, 9 September 1948.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest