normal school

A.D. Coward, member of the third year class.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 12.39.23 PM.png

The catalogue for the 1911-12 school year at North Carolina State Colored Normal School at Fayetteville, later Fayetteville State University, listed one student from Wilson, A.D. Coward.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 11.23.05 AM

Arthur D. Coward and his family were newly arrived in Wilson, where his father, the Rev. Bryant P. Coward, had assumed the pulpit at Saint John A.M.E. Zion Church.


In the 1900 census of Township 1, Craven County: farmer Bryan Coward, 36, wife Sarah, 33, son Arthur D., 8, and niece Malissa Jenkins, 13.

In the 1910 census of New Bern, Craven County, at 2 Green Street: pastor Bryan Coward, 45, wife Sarah, 43, son Arthur D., 18, and adopted daughter Malissa Jenkins, 22.

Arthur D. Coward died 21 July 1913 in Wilson of typhoid fever. Per his death certificate, he was born 17 October 1891 in Vanceboro, North Carolina, to B.P. Coward of Hookerton and S.A. Brown of Fountain Hill; lived at 122 Pender Street, Wilson; was attending school; and was buried in Vanceboro.

Catalogue digitized by North Carolina Digital History Center,


Higher learning.

A running list of African-Americans born (or reared) in Wilson County before 1900 who attended normal school, university or graduate school.

Barnes Bird, Agnes M. (1862-??), Saint Augustine’s.

Battle, Ada G. (1876-1951) — Livingstone; Scotia Seminary ’95.

Battle Wright, Chandler (1891-1952) — Scotia Seminary.

Battle, Charles Tecumseh (1888-??) — Brick Agr., Ind. & Normal ’10.

Battle Williston, Doane (1886-??) — Scotia Seminary.

Battle Faver, Geneva T. (1877-1967) — Livingstone.

Battle, James A. (1885-1923) — Leonard Medical ’09.

Blount, Frank Oscar (1860-??) — Lincoln B.A. ’84.

Bowser, Russell Linwood (1891-191) — Howard Dental ’17.

Bryant, William H. (1886-1947) — Saint Augustine’s; North Carolina A.&.T.  B.S. ’11; Leonard Medical; Meharry Medical ’15.

Bynum, Charles H. (1872-1938) — Lincoln B.A. ’90, Leonard Medical ’98.

Clark, Augustus S. (1874-1959) — Lincoln B.A. ’94; Lincoln M.A. ’97.

Clark, Flora R.M. (1898-1985) — Saint Augustine’s.

Clark, John Henry (1864-1949) — Lincoln; Howard Normal ’82.

Clark, Thomas G. (1876-??) — Lincoln B.A.; Howard Divinity ’05.

Clark, William H. (1873-??) — Lincoln B.A. ’93, M.A. ’96.

Cotton, James A. (1866-1922) — Livingstone B.A.; Leonard Medical; Harvey Medical ’97.

Darden Tennessee, Artelia (1889-1962) — Livingstone.

Darden, Arthur N. (1889-1948) — North Carolina A. & T., B. Agr. ’08.

Darden, Charles S. (1879-1954) — Howard Law ’05.

Darden, James B. (1882-1951) —

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 9.36.02 PM

New York Medical Journal, 29 July 1916.

Darden, John W. (1876-1949) — Livingstone B.A.; Leonard Medical.

Darden James Morgan, Lizzie (1886-1970) — Livingstone ’03; Tuskegee.

Darden, Walter Theodore (1896-1986) — Livingstone ’21; Howard Medical ’25.

Edwards, J.H. (??-??) — Howard Normal, circa ’90.

Forbes, J.H. (??-??) — Shaw, circa ’77.

Freeman, Daniel E. (1895-??) — Tuskegee.

Freeman, Julius F., Jr. (1887-1960) — Tuskegee ’11.

Freeman, Oliver Nestus (1881-1955) — Tuskegee.

Fullwider, Samuel (??-??) — Shaw, circa ’77.

Harris, Benjamin Amos (1894-1955) — Tuskegee.

Hines, William (1883-1981) — Biddle Normal ’08.

Kersey, Ardella (1854-??) — Shaw, circa ’77.

Lassiter, Henry C. (??-??)– Howard Normal; Lincoln ’95.

Powell, Wiley (1886-??) — North Carolina A.&T., B. Agr. ’08.

Skinner, John H. (1867-??) — Saint Augustine; State Normal, Fayetteville B.A. ’81; Tuskegee B.A. ’22.

Suggs, Daniel C. (1865-1930) — Lincoln; Saint Augustine’s B.A.’84; Saint Augustine’s M.A.; Morris Brown Ph.D.

Suggs, James T. (1876-1934) — Livingstone ’93; Lincoln B.A. ’97; Howard Medical ’03.

Suggs Moore, Serena (1863-1930) — Saint Augustine’s; Scotia Seminary; Saint Mary’s Academy.

Taylor, Russell B. (1881-1954) — Livingstone.

Vick, J. Oscar (1872-??) — Biddle.

h and o vick

Wilson Mirror, 19 October 1892.

Vick, Samuel H. (1863-1947) — Lincoln B.A. ’84.

Vick, William Henry (1870-??) — Lincoln B.A. ’94; Leonard Pharmaceutical ’97.

Ward, Joseph Henry (1870-1954) — Physio-Medical College of Indiana M.D.; Indiana University School of Medicine M.D.

Washington Vick, Annie M. (1872-1952) — Scotia Seminary.

Washington, Samuel (1867-1959) — Howard Normal, circa ’85.

Wells, Marie (1898-1997) — Saint Augustine’s.

Williamson Reid, Mahala (1864-ca. 1894) — Hampton, circa 1882.

Williamson, Turner G. — Lincoln ’95.



Howard Normal, 1889.

Henry C. Lassiter of Wilson was a member of the B Class in Howard University’s Normal School in 1889-90.

HC Lassiter

As the catalog below noted, Classes A and B were designed to bring students up to readiness to for entry into the Normal or Preparatory schools.

normal Dept

Howard University Catalog of Officers and Students from March 1889 to March 1890, U.S. School Catalogs, 1765-1935 [database on-line],

Students of Saint Augustine’s School, 1915-1920.


Founded in 1867 as Saint Augustine’s Normal School by Episcopal clergy to educate freed slaves, this historically black institution institution changed its name to Saint Augustine’s School in 1893 and then to Saint Augustine’s Junior College in 1919 when it began offering college-level coursework. It began offering coursework leading to a four-year degree in 1927 and changed its name to Saint Augustine’s College one year later. The first baccalaureate degrees were awarded in 1931.

The following pages featuring the names of Wilson students and alumni were culled from Saint Aug catalogues published between 1915 and 1920.


1915-16 catalog.

Flora Ruth Mingo Clark (1898-1985) was the daughter of John H. and Ida Crenshaw Clark. (The family resided at 706 East Nash Street, a house that was only recently demolished.) She married Wilton Maxwell Bethel on 18 June 1930 at Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church in Wilson.

annualcatalogueo19151930_0065 1916 1

1916-17 catalog.

Dinah (or Diana) Ada Adams (1891-1950) was the daughter of William and Elizabeth Troup Adams of Brooks County, Georgia. She married Wilson native Columbus E. Artis on 4 July 1918 in Washington DC. They returned to Wilson and settled at 308 Pender Street. C.E. operated an undertaker business and a filling station. They later moved to 611 East Green Street.

annualcatalogueo19151930_0057 1916 2

1916-17 catalog.


1917-18 catalog.

Glennie Dora Hill (1906-1989) was the daughter of George and Mary Bynum Hill. They appear in the 1910 census of Black Creek township, Wilson County, with Glennie’s siblings Lena, Emma, George and Edwin. In the 1930 census, Glennie is listed in Cross Roads township, Wilson County with husband Nathan Donald and children Eugene, Frank L., Hubert L, Alma and Algie. Ten years later, the family is listed in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Glennie later was married to a Council.

annualcatalogueo19151930_0125 1917 1

1917-18 catalog.

Raleigh native William H. Phillips (1885-1957), son of Frank and Margaret Haywood Phillips, was Wilson’s first African-American dentist. His first wife was Jewel J. Phillips and his second, Rena Maynor Carter Phillips.

Phillips directory

Wilson city directory, 1922.

Phillips lived at 405 East Green Street and maintained an office at 525 East Nash.

annualcatalogueo19151930_0335 1920

1920-21 catalog.

Marie Wells (1898-1997) was the daughter of Mack and Cherry Wells. The family resided at 615 Viola Street. Marie worked as a teacher and married Joseph Lucas in 1934 in Wilson. (Flora Clark Bethel’s husband W.M. Bethel was a witness to the ceremony.) They had at least three children: Joseph (1936), John Dennis (1940) and Joseph Clifton (1942).

annualcatalogueo19151930_0337 1920 1

1920-21 catalog.

Viola P. Adkinson married Belton Parker in Wilson in 1925. They are listed in the city’s 1928 city directory at 224 Ashe Street. Belton worked as a chauffeur.

Catalog images via