The one hundred-forty-ninth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1922; 1 story; bungalow with gable-end form and subsidiary gable-end porch.”
In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Joyner Lee J (c; Sarah) plstr h 1105 Atlanta
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: McCall Oscar (c; Flora) truck driver h 1105 Atlantic
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1105 Atlantic Street, taxi chauffeur Oscar McCall, 27; wife Flora, 22; and children Louise, 6, Louis, 5, Willie F., 3, and H.B., 1.
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1105 Atlantic Avenue, butler Ola Dupree, 44; wife Georgia, 32; and roomers Florence Atkinson, 24, and her husband William Atkinson, 26, a medical doctor.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Dupree Otis (c; Georgia) cook h 1105 Atlantic
Wilson Daily Times, 12 April 1980.
Wilson Daily Times, 23 November 1985.