The one hundred-fifty-fifth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
Presumably, this house is under renovation. Here, the original cedar shakes in the front gable are visible under an overlay of vinyl siding.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1930; 1 story; bungalow with gable-end form and recessed entry.”
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Murphy Geo (c; Lucinda) lab h 902 Washington
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 902 Washington, rented for $16/month, George Murphey, 34, town laborer; wife Lucile, 33, laundress; and children Willie, 15, and Pearl, 13.
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: Fletcher Williams, 49, blacksmith at J.Y. Buchanan’s; wife Esther, 38, Carolina Laundry worker; and children Armina, 12, Gladys, 19, Virginia, 9, Fletcher Jr., 13, and Charles, 15. All were born in Goldsboro, N.C.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Williams Fletcher (c; Esther; 5) blksmith h 902 Washington
Wilson Daily Times, 16 January 1941.
In 1942, Fletcher Williams registered for the World War II draft in Wilson County. Per his registration card, he was born 24 August 1900 in Goldsboro, N.C.; lived at 902 Washington Street; his contact was sister Minnie Williams, Viola Street near High School; and he worked for “J.Y. Buchanan, Blacksmith Alley, back of Old Quinn Store” in “Alley between Clark Fac. & Old Quinn Furn. Sto.”
In 1942, Fletcher Williams Jr. registered for the World War II draft in Wilson County. Per his registration card, he was born 6 November 1925 in Goldsboro, N.C.; lived at 902 Washington Street; his contact was mother Esther Lee Williams, 902 Washington; and he had “been going to school.”
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Felman Walter C (c; Velma) lab h 902 Washington