Jethro, Nimrod, the Queen of Sheba, Saint Catherine, Hannibal, Phillis Wheatley, Toussaint L’Ouverture, Denmark Vesey … and Rev. Robert S. Rives. Rives was pastor of Saint John’s A.M.E. Zion in Wilson around 1900 and testified at the coroner’s inquest over the shooting death of James A. Hunt. His selection as one of the Negro stars of the ages is as curious as author W.H. Quick’s contrived (and occasionally opaque) prose.
Rev. Frank L. Bullock of Enfield married Bertha A. Davis of Wilson. In the 1920 census of Wilson, Wilson County: Fred M. Davis, 50 [see below], wife Minnie, 39, children Fred Jr., 20, Berthia, 22, Addie, 18, and William B., 16, and mother Judie, 76.
Rev. Fred M. Davis served multiple stints as pastor of First Baptist Church and presided over the marriages and funerals of many of Wilson’s prominent black families.
Rev. Nathaniel Horton went to school in Wilson County and pastored at New Bethel and Macedonia Baptist Churches in Wilson County.
As founder, Rev. Andrew Joshua Jackson put the “Jackson” in Jackson Chapel First Missionary Baptist Church.
Rev. Charles A. Marriott lead the congregation at Williams Chapel Baptist Church in Elm City.
Rev. Marshall Alexander Talley lead Wilson’s First Baptist Church in the 1910s. He moved on to Homestead, Pennsylvania, and then to Indianapolis, where he was elected in 1936 to the Indiana House of Representatives. He died in Indianapolis in 1953.