This photograph depicts the interior of Graham W. Batts’ grocery at 418 South Goldsboro Street. Batts is standing at right. The unidentified African-American man and woman at rear likely were employees.
The west side of the entire 400 block of South Goldsboro Street — between Jones and Hines Streets — has been demolished. 418 stood in what is now the grassy side parcel of a Family Dollar store.
Photograph courtesy of Keith Thomas. Many thanks for sharing.
Per Keith Barnes’ The World’s Greatest Tobacco Market: A Pictorial History of Tobacco in Wilson, North Carolina, this photograph depicts a tobacco auction at Centre Brick Warehouse in the 1920s. Several African-American farmers or warehouse workers can be seen standing behind the tobacconists who owned and operated the warehouse.
In 1909, for $28, Levi H. Jones bought, subject to chattel mortgage, a Birtman Massage machine, 110 volt, 60 cycle, for his barber shop.
Deed book 72, page 472, Register of Deeds Office, Wilson.
In May 1910, Walter S. Hines, on behalf of Tate & Hines Barbershop, 213 East Nash Street, purchased a sixty-dollar register from National Cash Register for use on the barbershop’s back counter.
Model No. 317, National Cash Register Company.
Deed book 72, page 570, Register of Deeds Office, Wilson; image of cash register courtesy of www.pinterest.com.
In January 1906, butcher Grant T. Foster placed this purchase order for an oak-finished cooler with the South Carolina-based salesman for McCray Refrigerator Company. The $220 unit was to be shipped to Wilson via Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
Deed book ___, page 122, Register of Deeds office, Wilson County.
In 1905, John W. Rogers bought, subject to $209.45 mortgage, all the goods necessary to furnish a billiard hall — two pool tables, balls, a cue rack, a ball rack, cues, triangles, etc. A handwritten notation along the edge of the entry shows that Rogers paid his note in full in June 1907 and owned the goods free and clear. [The 1908 Wilson city directory lists only one African-American-operated billiard room — Matthews Pool Room at 510 East Nash., which was managed by Eugene Matthews. Rogers, who lived at 555 East Nash, was described as a foreman in the directory.]
Wilson Daily Times, 22 August 1944.
Brothers William and Joseph Meade Hill owned and operated a fish market on East Nash Street near Pender (the site later of Dr. Julian B. Rosemond‘s dental office.) The market’s location assured that it served a mostly African-American clientele.
What curious text: “For Your Protection … Always let the little fishes that swim around our adv. dive down into your Telephone Directory or Radio Station WGTM and bring up your Seafood Telephone Number 3291. It’s a number that guarantees fresh seafood.”
Levi H. Jones signed a promissory note for $20 for the purchase of a horse from Williams & Dawes.
Deed book 46, page 232, Register of Deeds Office, Wilson.
Early in 1868, Ishmael Wilder and his son Josiah Wilder gave a note to Jefferson D. Farrior to secure payment of $100 for their purchase of two mules, one sorrel and the other gray.
Deed book 46, page 201, Register of Deeds Office, Wilson.