student

The obituary of Sudye Jones, Bennett Belle.

Wilson Daily Times, 5 February 1937.

——

In the 1920 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 667 Nash Street, minister Charlie Jones, 41; wife Gertrude, 39; children Ruth, 16, Charlie, 14, Elwood, 12, Louise, 10, and Sudie, 4; plus mother-in-law Louisa Johnson, 65.

In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: on Harper Lane, farmer Charlie T. Jones, 52; wife Stella [sic], 49; and children William E., 23, farm laborer, Louise M., 20, and Sadie [sic], 14.

Sudye Jones died 4 February 1937 in Greensboro, North Carolina. Per her death certificate, she was 21 years old; was single; was the daughter of Charles T. Jones and Gertrude Johnson; and was a student at Bennett College. She died of meningitis. Rev. Charles T. Jones, 402 North Vick Street, was informant.

The lady with the dignified look.

The Bronco, Johnson C. Smith University (1947).

In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 502 East Vance Street, oil mill laborer William Clark, 27; wife Katie, 27, laundress; and children Romane, 6, Jeroline, 2, and Elaine, 4.

In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 502 East Vance Street, fertilizer factory laborer William Clark, 37; wife Katie E., 37, laundress; and children Romaine, 16, Elaine, 14, Geraldine, 12, Arthur E., 8, Addie E., 5, and William T., 2.

Esther Romaine Brown died 25 June 1996 in Richmond, Virginia. Per Findagrave.com:

“Dr. Esther Romaine Clark Brown, 72, of Richmond, a retired professor of special education at Virginia State University. Dr. Brown taught at the elementary, secondary and collegiate levels in North Carolina, Virginia and Pennsylvania before she retired in 1984 as a professor of special education at Virginia State.

“Widow of John Clinton Brown Sr., who died in 1981. Survived by a son, John Clinton Brown Jr.; three sisters, Elaine Carter of High Point, N.C., Geraldine Pettyjohn of Sharon Hill, Pa., and Addie Sherrod of Wilson, N.C.; and three brothers, Offie Clark of Aberdeen, Md., W.T. Clark of Hanover, and Milton Grady of Greensboro, N.C.”