The one hundred-fiftieth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1945; 1 1/2 stories; brick-veneered clipped-gable dwelling.”
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Holley Clarence (c; Elma C) bellmn Cherry Hotel h 300 N East. Also: Holley Elma C Mrs (c) Elma’s Beauty Shop h 300 E Nash
Clarence Holley died 4 May 1964 at Mercy Hospital. Per his death certificate, he was born 23 May 1919 in Bertie County to William Holley and Molly Smallwood; operated a shoeshine parlor; and lived at 300 North East Street. Informant was Elma Holley.
Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, January 2022.