In the absence of a public library that would admit African-American patrons, the Boy Scout troop affiliated with Calvary Presbyterian Church opened a reading room two days a week at the church.
Wilson Daily Times, 17 June 1933.
Board of Trustees, Wilson County Negro Library, 1948: Willie Mae Freeman, Carter Foster, Anna Johnson, D’arcy Yancey, Barbara Foster, Elizabeth Jenkins, James Whitfield, G.K. Butterfield, William Hines.
Willie Mae Freeman, Elizabeth Jenkins, Dora Dickerson.
This early iteration of the Negro library was located in a first-floor storefront of Mount Hebron Masonic Lodge No. 42, 115 North Pender Street.
Photographs courtesy of Freeman Round House Museum, Wilson, North Carolina, and digitized at http://www.digitalnc.org.