Spring Street

515 South Douglas Street.

Formerly 515 South Spring Street, this house is not within the bounds of East Wilson Historic District. However, South Spring Street, now Douglas — below the warehouse district — has been an African-American residential area since the turn of the twentieth century.

The house likely originally comprised only two rooms — known as the “saddlebag” type. An ell at the rear would have been added later to encompass a kitchen and bathroom. Current tax records show that the house measures 792 square feet.

In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Hargett Lemuel (c; Beadie) lab h515 Spring

In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Whitley Connell (c; Louise) USA h515 Spring

Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2019.

Bottles and jugs.

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-4-57-57-pm

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-4-58-17-pm

6-6-1911

Wilson Daily Times, 6 June 1911.

Spearman, again:

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-9-36-06-pm

Wilson Daily Times, 3 October 1911.

And (with Tobe Barnes) again:

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-8-57-40-pm

Wilson Daily Times, 24 October 1911.

A blind tiger is a place in which liquor is sold illegally. “Retailing,” specifically, was selling liquor illegally.

Sis Spearman does not appear in Wilson city directories or census records.