Borrowing from Wilson Home and Loan Association, pt. 2.

East Wilson’s new property owners often turned to Wilson Home and Loan Association, a savings and loan association affiliated with George D. Green, for short-term financing.

  • On 19 January 1903, Charles R. Cannon and wife Stattie E. Cannon borrowed $500 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a lot on Viola Street adjoining Sam Gay and the Colored Primitive Baptist Church, specifically, “beginning at a stake in the N.E. corner of Sam Gay’s lot on an alley parallel to and immediately north of Green Street and running with said alley S.E. 52 feet to Elba Street thence with Elba Street S.W. 118 feet to the church lot thence with said church lot N.W. 52 feet to Sam Gay’s lot thence with Sam Gay’s line 118 feet to the beginning it being the lot of W. Barnes and wife….” The note was paid off and cancelled 3 June 1903. Deed Book 32, page 201. [Charles and Stattie Cannon later lived at 724 East Green Street.]
  • On 27 January 1903, Sarah Joyner (with the consent of her husband Washington Joyner) borrowed $400 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a 60 foot by 120 foot lot on the north west side of Viola Street “on the east side of railroad” adjoining the lots of W.P. Mercer (now occupied by Levi Peacock), S.H. Vick, and the Procise heirs and bordered by “an old fence.” Sarah Joyner had bought the lot from George D. Green, trustee of the estate of F.I. Finch. The note was paid off and cancelled 21 November 1905. Deed Book 32, page 204. [This was 616 Viola Street.]
  • On 20 July 1903, Sam Barnes and wife Ida Barnes borrowed $400 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a one-quarter acre lot on the south side of Viola Street adjoining Ann Bynum, William Hargrove, and Elder Phillips. The note was paid off and cancelled 27 May 1909. Deed Book 32, page 209. [This was the lot at 604 Viola Street.]
  • On 27 July 1903, Nancy Harris borrowed $300 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a  lot on the west side of Green Street adjoining Louis Battle, J.F. Bridgers, and Short Barnes. The note was paid off and cancelled 23 February 1905. Deed Book 32, page 210.
  • On 28 August 1903, O.L.W. Smith and wife Adora E. Smith borrowed $700 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a lot on the north corner of Church and Pender Streets adjoining another lot owned by Smith “beginning at an alley, Church Street, on Pender Street.” Deed Book 32, page 214.
  • On 1 December 1903, James White and wife Lula White borrowed $500 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a one-quarter lot on the south side of Viola Street adjoining Charles Battle, Ann Bynum, William Hargrove, and others, and purchased by Lula White from Ann Bynum. The note was paid off and cancelled 16 November 1909. Deed Book 32, page 220.

Evidence of a prior loan against the Whites’ property on Viola Street.

  • On 7 March 1904, John W. Farmer and wife Edmonia Farmer borrowed $500 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a quarter-acre lot on the south side of Green Street adjoining Louis Pitt, W.H. Kittrell, and others and purchased from S.H. Vick. The note was paid off and cancelled in 1909. Deed Book 32, page 225. [This is 706 East Green Street.]
  • On 7 March 1904, J.Z. Staton and wife Agnes Staton borrowed $500 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a one-quarter lot on the south side of Vance Street adjoining C.C. Daniels, E.L. Reid, and others and running back to Elba Street.   The note was paid off and cancelled 12 November 1908. Deed Book 32, page 226.
  • On 14 March 1904, W.H. Kittrell and wife Mary Kittrell borrowed $450 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a lot on the south side of Green Street adjoining John W. Farmer and Samuel Vick and being the lot the Kittrells bought from Samuel and Annie Vick. The note was paid off and cancelled 14 May 1909. Deed Book 32, page 227.
  • On 22 March 1905, Charles B. Gay and wife Ella J. Gay borrowed $800 from W.H.L.A., mortgaging a one-quarter acre lot on the north side of Green Street adjoining his father Samuel Gay and the Primitive Baptist Church. The lot ran 50 feet from the corner of Sam Gay’s lot to the church corner, then 210 feet down the church’s lot line to Viola Street, then 50 feet west on Viola back to Sam Gay’s lot. The note was paid off and cancelled 14 September 1910. Deed Book 32, page 251. [This was 625 East Green. It is difficult to reconcile the description of this property with that of Charles and Stattie Cannon.]

Leave a Reply