On 26 September 1903, just eight months after Charles R. and Stattie E. Cannon mortgaged their Viola Street property, Charles Cannon rented an unusual amount of furniture from G.S. Tucker & Co., a Nash Street business.
The 1900 census of Wilson, reveals that Charlie Cannon, 26, was a barber living with wife Stattie, 24; son Charlie Jr., 1; and mother Nancy, 70, widow. His venture in operating his own barbershop was short-lived, as n the 1910 census of Wilson, Wilson County, census Chas. Cannon, 35 is described as a barber in “white shop.” His household included wife Statie, 34; children Chas., 11, Ruth, 9, and Statie Benton, 13.
That “white shop” was not white-owned. Rather, Levi H. Jones‘ barbers served a white-only clientele.
Wilson Daily Times, 1 November 1910.