The one hundred-fifty-third in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1940; 1 story; bungalow with low hip roof, engaged porch, and distinctive block-stone facade.”
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1111 Atlantic Avenue, rented for $16/month, construction carpenter Matthew Barnes, 44; wife Ossie Mae, 30, presser for Fidelity Cleaners; mother Erma Grady, 66, widow, tobacco factory hanger.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Barnes Matthew (c; Ossie) carp h 1111 Atlantic Av
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Barnes Matthew (c; Ossie) carp h 1111 Atlantic Av