Wilson Chapel Free Will Baptist Church‘s building burned to the ground in an early morning fire in November 1922.
In 1915, the church had bought a wooden structure first used by Jackson Chapel Missionary Baptist and vacated after its merger with First Missionary Baptist and the erection of the large brick building still standing at the corner of Pender and East Nash. This wooden building is apparently the one destroyed by fire in 1922. The church rebuilt, and the new building is shown here. In 1958, Wilson Chapel built the brick building in use today.
Wilson Daily Times, 6 November 1922.
Wilson Daily Times, 7 November 1922.
The 1922 Sanborn fire insurance map shows the close proximity of Wilson Chapel and the cotton seed house of Wilson County Gin Company.
Clippings courtesy of J. Robert Boykin III.