Frank Washington Barnes was an East Wilson Renaissance man. Born in 1911 to Jesse R. and Sarah Barnes Barnes (who sold to the city the land that became Rest Haven Cemetery), he was a barber (early as an employee of Austin N. Neal‘s Carolina Barber Shop and later as owner of Sanitary Barber Shop at 516 East Nash); edited the Wilson community news for Raleigh’s weekly African-American newspaper The Carolinian; was a member of Jackson Chapel First Missionary Baptist Church; was a member of the NAACP; helped found the East Nash Volunteer Fire Department; and ran for political office. He was also affiliated with nearly every fraternal organization active in 20th-century Wilson: Mount Hebron Lodge 42, Prince Hall Masons; Peaceful Valley Lodge 272, Knights of Pythias; Hannibal Lodge #1552, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows; Esther Lodge 467, Household of Ruth; and Marshall Lodge 297, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Wilson Daily Times, 23 March 1982.
Frank W. Barnes’ World War II draft registration card. (On the back, a notation that he was six feet five inches tall.)