New York Age, 20 October 1934.
In the 1880 census of Wilson, Wilson County: 39 year-old farmer Henry Clark, wife Florah, 38, and children John, 16, Mary J., 14, Ella, 12, Henrietta, 9, Henry, 8, Augustin, 5, Thomas, 3, and Margaret, 10 months.
John H. Clark was Wilson’s first African-American letter carrier and a stalwart and founding member of Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church. He and wife Ida Crenshaw Clark resided at 706 East Nash Street, built around 1908 and described in the East Wilson Historic District Nomination Report as a “triple-A cottage with intact wrap-around porch; includes corner gazebo and turned porch posts; among district’s finest early 20th-century houses.” It was recently demolished.
Clark house, 706 E. Nash Street.
See more about Rev. Thomas G. Clark here.