Wilson Daily Times, 15 April 1932.
Cash Williams owned both Williams Lumber Company and rental housing throughout the surrounding neighborhood, Happy Hill. In 1932, one of his duplexes burned to the ground. The names of the displaced families were not reported.
Below, Williams Lumber yard sprawls across the bottom half of this image, southwest of the Norfolk-Southern railroad. The tightly packed houses of Happy Hill are on the other side of the tracks, with the tower of Saint Rose Church of Christ rising at the center of the image.
Photo courtesy of J. Robert Boykin III, now in collection of Lisa Y. Henderson.