The one hundred twenty-first in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1913; 1 story; two-room house with rear shed extension.”
The house appears on the 1913 Sanborn map of Wilson, N.C., as 602 Darden Alley.
The house, as it appears on the 1922 Sanborn map of Wilson, N.C.:
In the 1928 and 1930 Wilson, N.C., city directories: Parker Elijah (c; Lucy) lab h 603 Darden al
In the 1941 Wilson, N.C., city directory: Bullock Richd (c) 603 Darden Alley
In the 1947 Wilson, N.C., city directory: Wright Eli (c) 603 Darden Alley
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2020.