The thirty-first in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1930; 1 1/2 stories; George Riggin house; bungalow with clipped-gable roof and entry porch; aluminum sided; Riggin was a house painter.”
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: painter George Riggins, 49; wife Eloise, 45, tobacco factory stemmer; and sons George, 18, and Robert, 20, both painters helpers. All were born in South Carolina.
In the 1941 and 1946 Hill’s city directories of Wilson: Riggins Geo (c; Eleise) pntr h1207 Washington, as well as Riggins Geo Jr pntr h1207 Washington.
Photograph taken by Lisa Y. Henderson, September 2017.