The forty-sixth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
118 (at left) and 116 North Pender Street.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1930; 2 stories; O.L. Smith‘s apartments; locally rare flat-roofed, two-bay tenement; asphalt shingled; three bays deep; probably built as tenement, which it currently is.”
In the 1930 city directory of Wilson, N.C., 116 North Pender is listed as vacant.
In the 1941 city directory of Wilson, N.C.: Robbins Benj (c; Mary) barber Wm Hines 116 Pender