The one hundred eighty-seventh in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
622 East Vance burned the night of 18 October 2023 and was demolished the next morning.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1908; 1-story; Triple-A cottage.”
Detail from the 1922 Sanborn fire insurance maps of Wilson, N.C. The house was originally numbered 631.
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 622 East Vance, widow Janie Cameron, 52; sons Lonzo, 21, Eugene, 15, and James, 11; and roomers Phillipp Gaskin, 38, and Amos Singletarry, 22.
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Cameron Eug (c) delmn John T Worrell h 622 E Vance; Cameron Jane (c) h 622 E Vance; Cameron Lonnie (c) lab h 622 E Vance
Wilson Daily Times, 25 November 1932.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Morgan Jas (c; Laura; 2) h 622 E Vance
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Petway Allen (c; Annie) lab h 622 E Vance
Wilson Daily Times, 7 June 1960.
The house per Google Street View, March 2022.