Wilson Daily Times, 10 April 1965.
Calvary Missionary Baptist Church’s current sanctuary on Gay Street was dedicated in 1965, but the church was originally organized in 1921 under Rev. E.D. Joyner, who later lead Barnes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church. The photo above depicts Walter Jones, “the oldest deacon and one of the founders,” Rev. D.D. Williams, and Joe Williams. Clarence B. Best engraved the church’s marble cornerstone.
- E.D. Joyner — Eddie D. Joyner lived in Rocky Mount, N.C. In addition to leading Calvary, he was the long-time pastor of Barnes Chapel Missionary Baptist Church.
- Walter Jones — Walter Jones died 19 February 1968 in Wilson. Per his death certificate, he was born 30 March 1886 to Frank Jones and Rebecca Hood; was married to Inez Reynolds; lived at 503 Moore Street; and was a retired tobacco factory laborer.
- D.D. Williams
- Joe Williams