I’ve marked this 1926 map of Wilson to show contemporary and modern landmarks.
- Daniel Hill
- Oakdale Cemetery — which hardly needs contrasting with the neat layout of Maplewood. Vick Cemetery, which in 1926 was the city’s Black public cemetery, was outside town limits and thus not shown.
- A — Colored Graded School.
- B — Freeman Round House and Museum. The town’s eastern limit crossed Nash Street just beyond the site of today’s museum.
- C — Darden High School, which opened in 1923.
- D — Vick Elementary School and Reid Street Community Center. These landmarks were ten-plus years in the future when this map was drawn.
- E — Mercy Hospital.
- F — Wilson Normal and Industrial Institute.
Blueprint courtesy of J. Robert Boykin III.