The one hundred eighty-second in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1940; 1 story; heavily modified clipped-gable dwelling; aluminum-sided.”
In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Robinson Golden (c; Bertie) barber h 202 N Vick
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Robinson Golden (c; Bertie) (Cherry Hotel Barber Shop) h 202 N Vick
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 202 Vick Street, barber Golden Robinson, 30; wife Bertie, 23; and children Parthenia, 5, Gold M., 3, and Glean, 1.
In 1938, this property appeared in a list of delinquent taxpayers:
Wilson Daily Times, 1 October 1938.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Robinson Golden (c; Bertie) barber Walter S Hines h 202 N Vick
In 1943, 202 North Vick was for sale; the Robinsons had moved to Newport News, Virginia.
Wilson Daily Times, 12 July 1943.
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Dwyer Elisha h 202 N Vick
In the 1950 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 202 Vick, Elisha Dwyer, 44, porter for A.C.L. Rail Road, and wife Carrie L.D., 42, English teacher at county school. Both were South Carolina natives.
Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, September 2022.