Another view of Cockrell’s Grocery.

Wilson Daily Times, 16 August 1946.

We read here of Cockrell’s Grocery, which stood at the corner of Green and Pettigrew Streets one block east of the railroad and served a largely African-American clientele. Above, a clearer view of the photograph accompanying an article about the store, with William White, at center, and Billy Strayhorn, at far right.

Leave a Reply