206 North Reid Street.

The one hundred sixty-second in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1930; 1 story; James Mack house; bungalow with gable-end form and subsidiary  gabled porch; aluminum sided; Mack operated a shoe-shine shop at the railroad station.”

——

In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Mack Jas (c; Beulah) Baltimore Shoe Shop h 206 N Reid

In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 206 North Reid, owned and valued at $2500, James Mack, 36, shoe shop cobbler, and wife Beaulah, 35, both Georgia natives.

In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 206 Reid, owned and valued at $2000, James Mack, 36, shoe shop owner, born in Avera, Georgia, and wife Beaulah, 35, born in Salisbury, N.C.; and roomer Robert Johnson, 22, born in Winston-Salem, N.C., Wilson County teacher.

In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Mack Jas (c; Beulah) Baltimore Shoe Shop h 206 N Reid

In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Mack Jas (c; Beulah) Baltimore Shoe Shop h 206 N Reid

Beulah Mack died 28 December 1953 in Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina. Per her death certificate, she was born 7 September 1895 in Salisbury to Napoleon Brown and Laura Watson; was married; and lived at 206 North Reid Street, Wilson.

Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, April 2022.

Leave a Reply