302 Lane Street.

The one hundred-fifty-ninth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “#304 [sic]; ca. 1930; 1 story; two-room house with bungalow traits; late example of this traditional type.” The original house number was 207.

——

In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: King Thomas (c; Henrietta) lab h 207 (302) Lane

Henrietta King died 11 February 1946 at 302 Lane Street. Per her death certificate, she was born 22 May 1897 in Edgecombe County, N.C, to Charles and Sophie Hines; was married to Thomas King; and was buried in Rountree [likely Vick] Cemetery.

Wilson Daily Times, 14 February 1946.

In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: King Thos (c) lab h 302 Lane

Wilson Daily Times, 14 December 1961.

Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, April 2022.

Leave a Reply