606 North Carroll Street.

The one hundred-fifty-sixth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.

As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1922; heavily modified, brick-veneered, hip-roofer dwelling.” [Note: the house does not appear on the 1922 Sanborn fire insurance map.] The 1950 Wilson city directory reveals the original house number was 518.

In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Hagans Oscar (c; Bertie) lab h 518 N Carroll

In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory, 518 North Carroll Street was vacant.

Willie Batts died 19 July 1939 in Wilson. Per his death certificate, he was 58 years old; was born in Wilson County to [Thomas?] Batts and Mariah Batts; was married to Olivia Batts; lived at 518 North Carroll; and worked as a laborer.

In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 518 Carroll Street, rented for $12/month, widowed tobacco stemmer Olivia Batts, 61, and children Ernest, 36, farm laborer; Mary M., 21, and Rosa Lee, 20, household servants; and Henry, 16, “new worker.”

In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Batts Wm (c) h 518 N Carroll

In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Little Geo Rev (c; Lessie) pastor Mt Zion  Free Will Baptist Ch h 518 N Carroll

Rev. George Washington Little died 1 April 1957 in Wilson when his car was struck by a train on the A.C.L. railroad. Per his death certificate, he was born 12 July 1910 in Wilson County to Wash Little and Louise Barnes; was married to Lessie Little; lived at 606 North Carroll; and worked in ministry and labor.

Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, April 2022.

One comment

  1. We lived on N. Carroll Street most of our lives in the 1960’s. We knew Ms. Batts @518 and the Vines @606 Carroll St.

Leave a Reply