The history of Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church.

“In 1917 this church was called Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church. The Rev. A.L.E. Weeks was pastor. Many called it Weeks Chapel.”

“Brother G.H. Holden, Brother James Holden, Brother J.C. White, and Rev. Frank F. Battle served as trustees. Rev. Fred Davis replaced Rev. Weeks and served as pastor for a short time. Dr. G.K. Butterfield and Brother Carter Foster also served as deacons at that time.”

“Rev. Charlie Jones became pastor and the church name was changed to Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church.”

“In 1936, the original building was a wood frame structure and was badly in need of repair. Rev. Charlie Jones and members formed committees and captains to raise money to pay for the remodeling of the church.”

“While the church was being remodeled, worship services were held at Calvary Missionary Baptist Church on Gay Street.”

“After much prayer and hard work, we returned to a beautiful new church. We now had electric lights, but no air condition. We had outside toilets and 2 pot belly stoves, new pews, and a baptismal pool under the pulpit.”

“Deacon James Stevenson can be remembered for his contributions to the maintenance of the church. Deacon George Alexander can be remembered for his contribution to the welfare and growth of the church. Deacon John Carr was ordained in 1952. Other deacons were: Brother Leary Underwood, Brother James Reeves, Brother Matt Turner, Brother Dempsey Mercer, Brother Charlie Harris, Brother Ned Barnes, Brother York and Brother Albert Ward.”

“The church celebrated its mortgage burning and a plaque was embedded out front in the corner of the church. …”

Ebenezer’s cornerstone.

Many thanks to Rev. Charles L. Howard, pastor of Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church since 2008, for sharing this history. Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2016.

Leave a Reply