The one hundred-forty-sixth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1930; 1 story; shotgun with engaged porch; bungalow-type pmts; shingled gable; fine example of the type.”
These blue and white enameled house numbers were once ubiquitous in East Wilson.
As a shotgun house, this dwelling has no interior halls; one room opens directly into the next. The view through the front door shows that the original tongue-and-groove ceiling survives, as does the wooden mantel and surround around the gas fireplace.
A second mantel and surround in the adjoining room. Plaster has begun to flake away from the walls in sections, revealing the laths behind it.
In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Parker Harkless (c; Sarah) firemn h 206 N East
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Evans Thomas (c; Cora) h 206 N East; also Evans Sidney (c) h 206 N East
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: paying $13/month rent, oil mill laborer Thomas Evans, 32; wife Cora, 39, tobacco factory laborer; and son Sidney, 7.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Kendall Charles (c; Margt) janitor h 206 N East
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Kendall Charles (c) jan ACC h 206 N East
Photos by Lisa Y. Henderson, January 2022.