The one hundred-forty-third in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1930; 1 story; shotgun with bungalow type porch posts.”
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1112 Queen, Luther McKethian, 27; wife Elizabeth, 23; and son Luther, 2.
In 1940, Luther Elworth McKeithan registered for the World War II draft in Wilson County. Per his registration card, he was born 30 December 1911 in Cumberland County, N.C.; lived at 1112 Queen Street, Wilson; his contact was wife Elizabeth McKeithan; and he worked for F.A. Doren, Woolworth’s Nash Street, Wilson.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C. city directory: McKeithan Luther (c; Eliz B) porter F W Woolworth Co h 1112 Queen
On 24 October 1944, Wade Moore paid for an ad in the Daily Times seeking the return of several ration books to him at home or at Rex Shoe Shop, his place of employment.
Endway houses like 1112 Queen were built as rental property, and tenants turned over frequently. Here, the owner or agent listed the house for sale with two adjoining endway houses and several other East Wilson properties:
Wilson Daily Times, 6 September 1946.
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Wood Howell (c) emp City h 1112 Queen
Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, December 2021.