The one hundred-forty-first in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this building is: “ca. 1910; 1 story; Frank Barnes house; L-plan cottage especially intact, with turned porch posts and sleeping loft; Barnes was a blacksmith.”
This house has recently undergone extensive renovation.
In the 1912 and 1916 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directories: Barnes Frank (c) blksmith C Culpeper h Viola nr Reed
In the 1928 and 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directories: Boykin Jas (c; Nancy S) carp h 900 Viola
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 900 Viola Street, owned and valued at $4000, private practical nurse Nancy S. Boykin, 59; husband Christian Church clergyman James, 44; daughter Lila R., 19; and roomers Ines Williams, 23, and Minnie Nelson, 20, both servants.
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 900 Viola, farm laborer George Richardson, 40; wife Annie, 26, tobacco factory stemmer; and John B. Barnes, 27, tobacco factory packer.
In the 1941 and 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directories: Richardson Geo (c) Annie lab h 900 Viola
Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, November 2021.