This corner store at Hines and Daniels Street once marked a boundary between black and white sections of West Hines Street. Daniel Street was the dividing line. Houses to the east — from Tarboro to Daniel — had white occupants; houses from Daniel to Warren were black-occupied rentals; and west from Warren, they were white again.
The three black-occupied blocks were on the northern edge of Daniel Hill neighborhood. The 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory clears shows the sharp racial demarcations — African-American households are designated (c) — and Bartholomew’s Grocery as the gatepost at 411 West Hines. Note that the rules of segregation would not have prevented black customers from crossing the street to patronize, though they would have had to follow deference protocols inside.
For an aerial view of the neighborhood in 1940, see here.