Lane Street Project is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Rountree, Odd Fellows, and Vick cemeteries. We welcome community volunteer support to achieve our goals of reclaiming the cemeteries and honoring the sacred remains of our ancestors. At present, Rountree and Odd Fellows are covered with 40+ years of overgrowth. Burials date back to the 1890s, and many of the graves have collapsed. It is a fragile environment.
Q: Hey! I’ll be there! What should I bring?
A: Thank you! The most important thing, of course, is a MASK! This will be a COVID-conscious event, and masks and social distancing will be required.
- Your own particular talents. Whether strong arms or strong voices of encouragement, we need what you bring!
- Protective clothing such as long sleeves, gloves, and boots.
- Hand tools only — hand pruners, loppers, hedge trimmers, mattocks, rakes, spades, etc.
- No chainsaws. No other mechanized or heavy equipment.
- Jugs of water and nylon-bristle brushes for cleaning headstones, but no soaps, detergents or other cleaning agents. They will damage the headstones.
Photo by Lisa Y. Henderson, December 2020.