Barbershops serving white clients charged uniform prices and operated uniform hours in the 1930s and 1940s.
Wilson Daily Times, 3 July 1935.
Wilson Daily Times, 29 July 1941.
Per the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory:
- Mullen’s Barber Shop (W Clarence Mullen) bsmt 113 E Nash
- Red’s Barber Shop (John W Hawkins and O’Berry B Stevens) 113 S Goldsboro
- Fields Nathan T barber 117 1/2 E Barnes h305 E Nash R7
- Service Barber Shop (c; Clifton L Hardy) 113 S Tarboro
- Taylor’s Barber Shop
- Wm. Hines Barber Shop
- Walter S. Hines Barber Shop
- Cherry Hotel Barber Shop (Thos Williams; c) 317 E Nash