The eightieth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District, this house is: “ca. 1913; 1 story; saddle-bag house with hip-roofed porch.”
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Johnson Alberta (c; cook) h 813 Vance
In the 1947 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Johnson Alberta (c; wid Clif) dom h 813 Vance
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2017.