Excavation for a new headquarters for the First National Bank of Wilson got underway in September 1926 at 113 East Nash Street. When it opened the following August, the eight-story building was the tallest in town. This photo shows African-American laborers who appear to be hauling soil from the site.
Similar photographs of the site are marked “First National Bank — Wilson N.C. — Chas. C. Hartmann Archt Greensboro N.C. — John T. Wilson Co. Inc. Gen. Contr. Richmond Va.” Note the advertisements pasted on the building to the west hawking Rudolph Valentino’s The Eagle and an upcoming circus. (The building to the east is the Wilson County Courthouse, erected just the year before.)
A close-up of the workers:
Many thanks to Jim Anderson for sharing this photograph.