Pauline Artis Harris (1899-1994).
On 14 March 1922, Benjaman A. Harris, 25, of Nahunta, son of Ed and Bettie Harris, married Pauline Artis, 20, of Nahunta, daughter of Wash [sic; Noah] and Patience Artis, in Eureka, Nahunta township, Wayne County.
In the mid-1920s, Benjamin and Pauline Artis Harris moved ten miles north to Wilson.
In the 1925 Wilson city directory: Harris Benj bricklyr h 407 Viola.
Harris, in partnership with George Best, opened a grocery store near the city limits on East Nash Street. In the 1928 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Harris Benj A (c; Pauline) (Harris & Best) r Finch; Harris & Best (c) (B A Harris and Geo Best) gros 1316 E Nash
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Harris Benj (c; Pauline) brklyr h 312 Finch
The census taker apparently missed the family’s household in both the 1930 and 1940 censuses of Wilson, Wilson County.
Pauline Artis Harris died 9 September 1994 in Wilson.
Photographs courtesy of K.M. Harris (top) and Adventures in Faith: The Church at Prayer, Study and Service, the 100th anniversary commemorative booklet of Calvary Presbyterian Church.