The sixtieth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
This house is misnumbered 913 East Vance in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1930; 1 story; shotgun with shed-roofed porch.” It is identical to 909 and 913. (Apparently, there was never a house at 911.)
In the 1930 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory, 915 East Vance was vacant.
Green Taylor is listed as the inhabitant of 915 East Vance Street in the 1941 city directory.
1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., City Directory.
Green Taylor died 2 April 1942 at Mercy Hospital. Per his death certificate, he was 57 years old; was born in Greene County to Green Shackleford and Mary Taylor; was married to Rebecca Taylor; worked as a common laborer; resided at 915 East Vance; and was buried in Bethel cemetery, Wilson County.
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2018.