Though located within the East Wilson Historic District, this 1970s-era apartment building is not counted as a contributing structure. Its site, however, is significant. Here, in a former tenement building owned by Samuel H. Vick, was located the Wilson Independent School, founded to educate the children who withdrew from the Colored Graded School after superintendent Charles L. Coon slapped teacher Mary Euell.
Vance Street at Pender Street, 1922 Sanborn fire insurance map, Wilson.
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, February 2018.