The fifty-eighth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1913. Gable-front house with spindle frieze along porch.” The house’s original number was 615.
Robert C. Bainbridge and Kate Ohno’s Wilson, North Carolina: Historic Buildings Survey, originally published by the City of Wilson in 1980 and updated and republished in 2010 under the auspices of the Wilson County Genealogical Society, provides additional details about the house, pictured below: “House. Like 606 East Green Street this turn of the century house is also set with its gable end to the street. A lacy sawn work barge board enhances the gable and the turned spindlework of the porch enlivens this pleasant house.”
In the 1920 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 615 Green Street, laborer Ernest Coeffield, 31, and wife Sallie, 27; plus roomers Rachell, 13, Richard, 10, Mosley, 6, George, 5, and Hellen Bullock, 4, and their widower father Richard Bullock, 38, laborer; and roomer Jack Thompson, 21, laborer.
Irene Deberry, cook, is listed at 614 East Green in the Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directories of 1922, 1925 and 1928.
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 614 Green Street, renting at $22/month, cook Irene Deberry, 60, and maid Mattie Moore, 50.
There is no listing for a household at 614 East Green Street in the 1940 census of Wilson.
In the 1941 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Ellis Fannie (c) waiter Pet & Mike Cafe h 614 E Green
Photo courtesy of Google Maps.