The Negro Motorist Green Book (later titled The Negro Travelers’ Green Book and called the Green Book) was an annual guidebook for African-American travelers. New York City mailman Victor Hugo Green published the volume during the Jim Crow era, from 1936 to 1966, when hotels, restaurants and other businesses openly discriminated against black motorists. To counter the inconveniences and dangers and inconveniences they faced along the road, Green created a guide to services and places relatively friendly to African-Americans.
Only a few of the many Wilson businesses catering to black clientele were listed in the Green Book. The 1941 edition of the guide is excerpted below.
Victor H. Green, The Negro Motorist Green-Book (1941).
- Biltmore, East Washington Street — The 1941 Wilson city directory does not list a hotel on East Washington.
- The Wilson Biltmore, 539 East Nash Street — The 1941 Wilson city directory lists Libby McPhatter‘s cafe at 539 East Nash. However, per the nomination form for Wilsons Central Business District Historic District, McPhatter’s cafe was at 541, in a one of two buildings erected after the Hotel Union, a three-story frame hotel, burned in the late 1940s. It seems much more likely that the Union was the Wilson Bitmo
- M. Jones, 1209 East Queen Street — The 1941 Wilson city directory does not list an M. Jones at 1209 East Queen Street, nor an M. Jones who is a taxi driver.
- The 1948 Green Book lists the same three businesses in Wilson. Odd.
Copy of Green Book courtesy of New York Public Library Digital Collections.