The forty-eighth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1915; 1 story; Queen Anne cottage with hip-roofed, double-pile form and modified bungalow type porch posts.”
Carpenter George W. Farmer and wife Rebecca are listed at 1207 Carolina Street in the 1925, 1928, 1930 and 1941 Wilson city directories.
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1207 Carolina, building carpenter George Farmer, 46, wife Reba, 40; and lodger RufusMiles, 15.
George Washington Farmer died 26 October 1953 on Contentnea Creek in Wilson County. Per his death certificate, he was born 25 September 1886 in Wilson County to John Washington Farmer and Edmonia Barnes; lived at 1207 Carolina Street; was married; and worked as a carpenter. Informant was Rebecca Farmer, 1207 Carolina.
Photograph taken by Lisa Y. Henderson, December 2017.